Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I Am My Connectome

Dr. Sebastian Seung discusses the implications of connectomes and their elusive power to foster creativity and innovation. According to him, we are not predetermined by our genetics, but by connectomes within the brain that neural scientists still have much to learn about. The statement, "I am my connectome," is proposed by Dr. Seung as a hypothesis for the idea that we can create, learn, and innovate beyond our own expectations and the worlds.

This makes me think about the concept that we as a species and civilization have barely chipped the tip of the iceberg for human potential. Dr. Seung's discussion reveals that science and professionals think they have all the answers, but we are nowhere near having even a small percentage. My question is:

If we want creativity from our students, why do we create parameters for their ability to create?

Sebastian Seung - I Am My Connectome

No comments:

Post a Comment